About the McIlvaines
Charles H. McIlvaine opened the McIlvaine Funeral Home in 1895 on Ridge
Avenue at the site of the current East Falls Firehouse.
In1950, his son, Charles J. McIlvaine, a gold medal olympic oarsman, relocated
the funeral home to its current location on Midvale Avenue to avoid the
frequent flooding of the Schuylkill River.
His sons, John and Boyd, came into the family business in the mid-60s.
In the mid-70s, they purchased the Simcox Funeral Home in Lansdale from
Hillary Simcox, who had begun his business in 1940.
In 1990, Gus DiStefano began working for the funeral homes. He became
Johnís right hand man.
Boyd Jr., became a funeral director and joined the family business in
2001. When John McIlvaine passed away in 2002, Boyd Jr. became the supervisor
of the East Falls business.
Two ladies are currently involved in the business. Kathleen McIlvaine
works with Simcox-McIlvaine. She is also a sales representative for New
Britain Granite and Bronze. This company sells monuments and provides
engraving for monuments. After 22 years as a first grade teacher, Joan
McIlvaine is currently managing the East Falls funeral home.
The McIlvaines have provided more than a century of dignified service
to all faiths at affordable prices.
Return to the top